In this article, we will discuss some common differences between EIGRP & OSPF. Both are dynamic routing protocols and both have their pros and cons. If you are new to the dynamic routing protocols, I recommend you to go through the EIGRP & OSPF, it will help you to understand the below differences. Let’s start!
Key Differences: EIGRP vs OSPF
- EIGRP stands for Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol & OSPF stands for Open Shortest Path first.
- EIGRP is a Hybrid Routing Protocol having the features of both Distance Vector and Link State Routing Protocols. However, OSPF is a link-state routing protocol.
- EIGRP is a Cisco Proprietary Routing Protocol, but OSPF is standardized by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
- EIGRP uses a combination of Bandwidth, Load, Total Delay, Reliability, MTU, Hop Count as it’s metric. OSPF uses the Path Cost as it’s metric.
- EIGRP is the only routing protocol, that supports unequal cost load balancing. However, OSPF only supports equal-cost load balancing.
- Administrative Distance (AD) Value of EIGRP is 90 & 170 (Internal & External). OSPF AD value is 110.
- EIGRP Uses Diffused Update Algorithm (DUAL) to calculate the best route. However, OSPF uses the Dijkstra Algorithm to calculate the best path.
- EIGRP Multicast address is 18.104.22.168 & OSPF Multicast addresses are 22.214.171.124 & 126.96.36.199.
- EIGRP uses a feasible successor as a backup path for the destination networks. So, the Convergence time is very less as compared with OSPF.
Note: In some cases of EIGRP, convergence can be almost instant
Now, let’s recap all the differences between EIGRP and OSPF.
|EIGRP Stands for Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol||OSPF Stands for Open Shortest Path First|
|Hybrid Routing Protocol||Link-State Routing Protocol|
|Cisco Proprietary||Open Standard Routing Protocol|
|EIGRP uses Bandwidth, Load, Total Delay, Reliability, MTU, Hop Count as it's metric||Uses path cost as its routing metric|
|Support Unequal cost load balancing||Only Support equal-cost load balancing|
EIGRP Summary Route - 5
Internal EIGRP - 90
External EIGRP - 170
OSPF - 110
|Uses DUAL Algorithm||Uses Dijkstra Algorithm|
|Multicast address is 188.8.131.52||Multicast address is 184.108.40.206 & 220.127.116.11|
|Convergence Time is very less.||Convergence Time is more than EIGRP.|
Download: EIGRP vs OSPF
- EIGRP: The complete guide for Beginner and Expert
- OSPF | Open Shortest Path First | Quick Overview
- Download Cisco Packet Tracer
- Download GNS3 Latest Version
- Dynamic Routing: A Complete Guide
- OSPF Neighborship States
Well, in this article, we have discussed approx 10 differences between EIGRP & OSPF. No doubt, both routing protocols are very good for medium to large scale enterprises. However, the use of one of the routing protocol depends on various factors such as device hardware, capabilities, support, etc.
Did you found this article helpful? Please give your suggestions in the comment box!