Cisco Packet Tracer is a networking simulator on which you can practice with virtual appliances of Cisco. This software is Cisco proprietary. It helps a lot in passing the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and Cisco Certified Network Professionals (CCNP).
Getting started with Cisco Packet Tracer
Cisco Packet Tracer is a cross-platform Network Simulator. It can be used in Microsoft Windows, Linux, and MAC. In, Cisco Packet Tracer you will get various Cisco virtual appliances, which can be taken in different types of network topology and configure them according to your design.
Creating the First Project in Packet tracer
It’s time to create your first project in Packet Tracer. Unlike GNS3, by default, all appliances are pre-installed in it. Here, you will get Cisco Routers, Switches, End devices, Hub, IP Phones, Multi-layer Switch, Wireless AP’s, and much more.
- Open Cisco Packet Tracer
- Tacking Cisco Routers and Switches in Project Area.
- Connect devices with the help of various connectivity wires.
- Assign an IP address to Hosts and Routers.
- Check the connectivity between various devices.
Pros of Cisco Packet Tracer
- Providing GUI (Graphical User Interface) of devices in order to import or export Modules.
- It is a very good software for CCNA / CCNP preparation
- Free Available and Easy to install
- It is cross-platform Network Simulator
- Size of Cisco packet tracer is very less
- Fewer Resources are used by Cisco Packet Tracer
Cons of Cisco Packet Tracer
- The main disadvantage of the Cisco packet tracer is that it is unable to process various real appliance commands.
- It has various servers, but it has limited functionality.
- The configurations files, can’t be export from Cisco Packet Tracer.
- End Devices, like PC’s and Laptops, have limited functionality.
- You are not able to use different vendor’s appliances in Cisco Packet Tracer.
- You are not able to perform security-related practicals in Cisco Packet Tracer.
- Download Cisco Packet Tracer 6.2 Free for Windows (Direct Link)
- Download Cisco Packet Tracer for Ubuntu / Mint Free (Direct Link)